Friday, November 25, 2022

Yoko Ono | A Hole to See the Sky (Fly)









Yoko Ono 
A Hole to See The Sky (from Fly)
London, UK: Apple Records, 1971
9.5 x 14.5 cm.
Edition size unknown


The second iteration of the A Hole to See The Sky card (that I'm aware of - if you know of others, please get in touch) served double-duty as a postcard in Ono's second LP Fly, and also functioned as an order-form for her artist book Grapefruit

Ono had self-published Grapefruit in Tokyo, using the imprint name Wunternaum Press, in 1964, in an edition of 500 copies. Simon & Schuster published an expanded edition in 1970. This postcard offers the book for $1.95. 

It came as part of the gatefold LP design for Fly, one of Ono's most celebrated solo records. The disc features the title track (the soundtrack of her film of the same name, see below, bottom) as well as the classic Ono songs Don't Worry Kyoko (about her kidnapped daughter) and Mindtrain (pinched years later by Stereolab, for their best song). 

The cover was designed by Fluxus impresario George Maciunas (his distinctive typefaces are the give-away) and also feature works by Fluxus artist Joe Jones.  



"I was always fascinated by the idea of making special instruments for special emotions – instruments that lead us to emotions arrived by their own motions rather than by our control. With those instruments, I wanted to explore emotions and vibrations which have not been explored as yet in music.

I thought of building a house on the hill which makes different sounds on a windy day by the wind that goes through different windows, doors and holes. 

Then I’ve met Joe Jones who’s been making such instruments for 10 years almost unnoticed. Joe built me 8 new instruments specially for this album which can play by themselves with minimum manipulation. (Turning switches only.)"
- Yoko Ono












1 comment:

  1. 🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣🧣
    Hello everyone, I want to use this medium to thank a great man called Mr Mark Toray for transforming my life financially, i have been investing for a long time trying to navigate the market on my own but I lost a lot of money then I saw a post on the internet on how he help a lady to invest and made very big amount of profits, so i contacted him and He instructed me on what to do which i did i still cant believe what happened to me that i am now able to pay up my loans, i just want to say a very big thank you to Mr Mark Toray, I will advice everyone out there to contact him via Telegram: @Mark4toray_fx or Email: Marktoray8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete