Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Toronto in Last Night

 



Somewhat off-topic, but a week from today I am hosting a "reading group" (as I've taken to calling it) around Don McKellar's 1999 film Last Night

I was invited to be one of several  'artists in residence' this fall by Ontario Culture Days, and the plan was to screen my forthcoming film Dead Ringer, about Casa Loma, in Casa Loma. But in-person events in Toronto are still hindered by Covid19, so this has been postponed until next year. 

In lieu of this, I proposed that I host an intimate 'book club' with the 'text' being the film. We would screen it for a small group and then discuss it afterwards. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to have McKellar participate, and luckily he's a friend of a friend, and she put us in touch. 

So please join us on October 20th for a free screening of the brilliant film (starring Sandra Oh, Tracy Wright, David Cronenberg, Callum Keith Rennie, Sarah Polley, Jackie Burroughs, Arsinée Khanjian), followed by a conversation between myself and it's director. 

In advance of this, those that register will be sent "Reading Lists" of other important Toronto films, other good end-of-the-world movies, etc. etc. 

Register here to participate: 

No comments:

Post a Comment