Sunday, January 31, 2021

Brion Gysin | Dream Machine







Brion Gysin
Dream Machine
[no city]: Self-published, 1985
117.4 by 30.2 by 30.2 cm.
Edition size unknown


Signed, dated and inscribed to Keith Haring, this copy of Brion Gysin’s most celebrated work was offered for sale in the Sotheby's auction "Dear Keith: Works from the Personal Collection of Keith Haring" from October of last year. 

Haring happened upon the Nova Convention, in 1978 and subsequently read The Third Man by Gysin and William S Burroughs. The "Cut-up" method made a lasting impression on Haring, who was then a student. Eight years later Haring and Gysin collaborated on Fault Lines, a limited-edition artist book with writings by Gysin and drawings by Haring. 

Haring's copy of the Dream Machine was estimated to sell for between six and eight hundred dollars. The hammer price was almost thirty-three thousand US dollars. 


“I think a lot of people learned a lot of things from Brion. Unfortunately, much of his importance has been un-recognized or at least un-acknowledged. I feel lucky to have met him and enjoyed a few years of his long life. He is a legend. Brion’s writings and especially his paintings have helped me understand myself and my work in very important ways. He was difficult to keep-up with – a kind of saint from the underworld or (other world)? He understood my work (and life) in a way that only he could, because he lived it. His paintings give my paintings historical precedent.

He has been called the ‘grandfather of graffiti’ because of his ‘writing paintings’. Crossing the gap between East and West, he turned calligraphy into a kind of surrealist writing. From his expulsion from the Surrealist group by Andre Breton (for being gay) to his years spent in Morocco and Paris, he has been an “outsider”. Usually written out of history instead of into it.

Brion sometimes complained of this sort of conspiracy of un-acknowledgement, but I think inside he knew that it was the source of private personal satisfaction. Being popular, he knew, had its drawbacks. In a way, his purity and “otherness” was preserved and almost exalted by being “the outsider”. As usual, time will tell of his contributions and he will be respected for generations to come.

It seemed to me that Brion had done…everything (been everywhere) and somehow came out on top, but not knowing which end the top was on. I will miss Brion, but I hope he lives on, in ways, through me and through the things I learned from him. If I could accomplish a portion of the things he has, I would be happy.”
- Keith Haring, Journal entry dated July 26, 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment