Friday, January 28, 2022

George Bowering | Baseball: A Poem in the Magic Number Nine




George Bowering
Baseball
Toronto, Canada: The Coach House Press, 1967
[24] pp., softcover
Edition of 500


Subtitled A Poem in the Magic Number Nine, this "book-length poem" is bound in green felt-like wrappers to mimic a sports team pennant. 

The title was reissued by Coach House Books thirty six years after this original publication in 1967 (see below image). 

Bowering's other baseball titles include Poem & Other Baseballs (Windsor, Black Moss, 1976), Taking the field (Red Deer, RDC Press, 1990), Baseball Love (Vancouver, Talonbooks, 2006) and The Diamond Alphabet (Toronto, BookThug, 2011). He is also the author of a memoir about Greg Curnoe. 


"From its remarkable design to its effervescent language, George Bowering1s ode to the beautiful game is as original as it is funny, as bittersweet as it is playful. A long-out-of-print Coach House classic, originally published in 1967, Baseball weaves together mythology, autobiography, literary history and pop culture into an inimitable book-length poem that explores all the nuances of the sport. Here are all the greats: Mantle, DiMaggio, Maris, Williams and Manuel Louie, shortstop for the Wenatchee Chiefs, their exploits captured in passages of off-kilter, occasionally melancholy, lyricism. Gar Smith1s enchanting and ingenious design has also been preserved; the book, complete with green velvet-flocked covers, is shaped like a pennant that, when unfolded, forms a diamond.
A long-time utility player, Bowering (our Homer?) has written books in many different genres and was recently named Canada1s first Poet Laureate. Baseball is a tantalizing glimpse of the writer at the beginning of his illustrious career; a real curveball of a book that will dazzle literature and sports fans alike." 
- Publisher's blurb











3 comments:

  1. 👁‍🗨 RECOVERY OF LOST FUNDS AND HACK MODES

    People barely know what they have never seen. I was a victim of a scam. Anyone from all walks of life can fall a victim when the time is right. I recalled how I came across a business website who promised 200% return on investment. I ended up depositing 7,000 dollars. I realized I have lost my money after the story which was conveyed to me was mistrustful.
    After a year, I saw a review online that navigated me to the global KOS hacker who used a hack protocol, whereby the locations and data of the deceptive provenience were traced into their monetary base network. He was able to recover more than what I lost. I was perplexed as I wouldn’t have thought i could meet such genius. This company is large enough to provide comprehensive range of services such as. • MOBILE PHONE HACKS.(Catching A Cheating Spouse)
    • CREDIT SCORE UPGRADE,
    • PENETRATION OF WEBSITES AND DATABASE.
    For prolific services and info,
    Contact the gurus.
    At (theglobalkos @ gmail . com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fast cash offer for you today at just 3% interest rate, both long and short term cash of all amounts and currencies, no collateral required. Apply now for your instant approval financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com WhatsApp +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few months ago, I felt so depressed, I got frustrated with bad credits, but then I contacted HACK VANISH by phone: +1 (747) 293-8514 and email: HACK VANISH (@) GMAIL. COM. I found out about hack vanish services through positive reviews read on some credit blogs, in a blink of an eye this great hacker restored my credit score from 509 to 784 in all 3 major credit bureaus, they got removed evictions and foreclosures, my LexisNexis and Chex system was repaired respectively, a few days later I received an email confirming the approval of my mortgage loan, it was quite surprising because I never thought it was possible. Today, I can confidently say that 2021 was a banner year for my husband and I as we now own a new house and a new SUV courtesy of HACK VANISH, I would definitely recommend him to anyone in need of a genuine Hacker.

    ReplyDelete