Tuesday, January 2, 2024

José Luis Castillejo | The Book of J’s












José Luis Castillejo
The Book of J’s
Milan, Italy: Alga Marghen, 1999
[unpaginated], 23.5 x 16 cm., hardcover
Edition of 200 


A hardcover artists’ book of concrete poetry investigations into the letter J (which follows the Zaj artist’s earlier The Book of I’s) housed in a cardboard box and including a 12” vinyl LP: 

A The Book Of J's 30:00
B The Book Of J's 30:05

which was recorded on July 26, 1999, at Studio RDS, in Milan. 



"A writer, like any other artist, does not create experiences. Art creates works while experiences are anybody's privilege. The editor of Alga Marghen has asked me for a record. As I am not a singer, not even always except in very intimate moments a poet that plays with words, it did occur to me that perhaps this new record should be the record of my writing "The Book of J's".

In all honesty I must say that the published version of "The Book of J's" was written by a machine, the computer. While this version that I am doing for Alga Marghen is written by myself, of my own hand, with pen, ink, and paper. It records the process of writing a book. Without this record the act of writing, the so called creative act, will be lost in the final result. It is the act of creation that has been recorded. In spite of all the noise about creation, creation itself is a quiet act done in recollection.  Perhaps not a big deal. But it is a quietness that results in a real work of the spirit.”
- Jose Luis Castillejo, December 3, 1999




  

1 comment:

  1. RECOVER A STOLEN BTC BY BLISS PARADOX RECOVERY.

    Over 3 years of research about a reputable recovery company to reclaim defrauded bitcoin, I came across Bliss Paradox recovery which remained the best and renown recovery firm that victims which have been defrauded can trust and work with.

    Thanks to them. I was left no other choice but to admit that funds recovery is real. Contact details you can reach out to. Mail: Blissparadoxrecovery @ aol. com, Telegram: Blissparadoxrecovery

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete