Gilbert & George
Dark Shadow
London, UK: Art for All & Nigel Greenwood Inc., 1976
[unpaginated], 19.5 x 13 cm., hardcover
Edition of 2000 signed and numbered copies
One of the most celebrated and sought-after artists' books of the 1970's, Dark Shadow contains eight short stories: "Gordons Gin", "Dark Shadow", "Broken Hearts", "Bloody Life", "Balls Bar", "Bad Thoughts", "Inca Pisco", and "Human Bondage." These stories - irreverent, fantastical and funny - are illustrated with black-and-white images of the artists.
Despite the high edition size, each copy of the book is signed and numbered by Gilbert & George. Additionally, each copy is unique. The book is bound in hand-marbled cloth individually created by the artists in their studio, adorned with gold blocked title.
The pair view Dark Shadow as a "living sculpture book", and the "result of our past three years of earnest daily thoughts, shadows, deeds, cares and pleasures."
The book is co-published by the artists and gallerist Nigel Greenwood (1941 - 2004), an early promoter of conceptual art and proponent of artists' books, who worked with a number of artists central to both, including Bernd and Hilla Becher, Marcel Broodthaers, Dieter Roth, Richard Hamilton, Barry Le Va, Bruce Nauman, Richard Tuttle and Ed Ruscha. In addition to Dark Shadow, he also published Gilbert & George Side By Side and their Reclining Drunk ashtray. The pair first performed their infamous Singing Sculpture at Greenwood's gallery in 1970, when they were still students.
Dark Shadow is available from Specific Object for $575.00 US, here.
The title is being reprinted at the end of April. Pre-order a copy here, for $190.00.






Crypto Recovery | Reclaim Stolen Crypto | Crypto Scam Recovery Services.
ReplyDeleteMy worst experience in the cryptocurrency sector was losing my Bitcoin to an investment scam, not until ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS came in to help me recover my money. I had been deceived into investing $285,000 in ETH and Bitcoin through a fraudulent investment platform. After a few months, I attempted to withdraw my profits from the platform without success. That's when I realized I was duped. ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS arrived at just the right time in my life. I discovered ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS after conducting an online search. After analyzing my problem, the team began working immediately. ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS recovery services truly impressed me. It took the experts a few weeks to recover a substantial chunk of my lost assets, but I'm grateful for his assistance throughout my grief period. I wholeheartedly recommend Alpha Recovery Experts for all cryptocurrency recovery concerns.
Email: ( Alpharecoveryexpert@consultant. com) or Visit ( alpharecoveryexperts.com) for more information.