Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Linda Montano | Linda As Lenny





Linda Montano
Linda As Lenny
La Jolla, USA: Laurence McGilvery, 2015
30.3 x 45.6 cm.
Edition of 50 signed and numbered copies [+14 AP]

A digital poster on stiff Hahnemühle photo rag paper of an image taken in the late eighties in Manhattan's East Thirties, from a series of photographs by Annie Sprinkle that depict Montano in various guises. 

I'll admit I mistook the title as Linda as Lemmy, from the metal band Motorhead, whose handlebar moustache and denim outfits felt more iconic a look than Lenny Bruce. But as I look closer I see that there the moustache is not handlebar, just in the shadows. The publisher notes that he thinks that Montano looks like a young Bob Dylan. Either way, it reminds me of Douglas Gordon's self-portrait as Andy Warhol, as Kurt Cobain, as Marilyn Monroe, as killer Myra Hindley. 

The work is available for $75 here

No comments:

Post a Comment