Friday, February 14, 2020

This Week on Tumblr: I Love

















In the mid-seventies in New York City crime was at an all-time high and tourism at an all-time low. The New York State Department for Economic Development tasked Madison Avenue ad firm Wells Rich Greene to develop a marketing campaign that would counter the negative coverage of riots, blackouts, muggings, fires, the Son of Sam killer, garbage strikes, a drug and crime epidemic, and neighbourhoods that had fallen into a state of disrepair.

The resulting 1977 campaign included the Steve Karmen song "I Love New York" as a commercial jingle and a now-ionic log by Milton Glaser (previously best known for a psychedelic poster of Bob Dylan). The logo was conceived in a taxi cab, with "I  ❤ NY" scribbled in crayon in a single line, which later changed to the present stacked letters (which Glaser later admitted might have been "subliminally" influenced by Robert Indiana's LOVE), and the serif typeface American Typewriter.

The campaign was truly a labour of love, with Karmen relinquished his publishing rights for the song, and Glaser also working pro bono. “You want to do things like that, where you feel you can actually change things,” he said in a recent interview in The Believer.

The campaign was launched forty-two years ago today, on Valentine's Day, with TV commercials featuring eighty Broadway actors, singers and dancers performing the "I Love New York" theme song. Originally intended as a five-week campaign, it continues to this day. 

Glaser's original concept sketch (above, top) and presentation boards are currently in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York.

The New York State Empire State Development, New York’s chief economic development agency, holds the trademark to the “I Love New York” logo, and licenses its use. It's estimated that sales of merchandise such as mugs and t-shirts emblazoned with Glaser’s design generates more than $30 million a year. The state fights to uphold its trademark with over 3,000 objections against imitators so far, and an average of 100 trademark objections and cease-and-desist letters filed yearly.

The works above presumably fall under fair use. They are by Cary Leibowitz, David Shrigley, Mark Pawson, Sarah Nasby, Jeremy Deller, Claude Closky, Ross Sinclair, Adam Rolston and Ugo Rondinone (about Gertrude Stein, Andy Warhol, John Giorno, John Cage, Claude Closky, etc.)



1 comment:

  1. Saving my crypto funds in a cold wallet did not save me from an attack when hackers gained access to my crypto portfolio. I watched everything I had worked so hard to build disappear in the blink of an eye. It felt so unreal. I had always thought that cold wallets were the safest way to store crypto "naive me".
    It took me days to realize what had happened to me. I was under the weather and felt like a walking corpse until Morphohack came to my rescue. They are a well-known data and funds recovery team whose contact information I came across on the dark web.

    Morphohack helped me recover everything I thought I had lost. What initially seemed like the end of everything turned out to be a wake up call for me. Morphohack recovered my crypto, helped me secure it better, and taught me other ways to safely protect myself from future attacks.
    The Morphohack team was very reliable throughout the recovery process, and I was fortunate to have been able to recover my crypto funds. I’m incredibly grateful that I was able to get back what I thought was gone forever. Morphohack can be contacted via email at Morphohack@cyberservices.com and be rest assured, they can handle any recovery case discreetly and professionally.

    ReplyDelete