Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Rebecca La Marre | Love is the Language that Sex Speaks




Rebecca La Marre 
Love is the Language that Sex Speaks
London, UK: Ma Bibliothèque, 2018
44 pp., 17 x 10.5 cm., softcover
Edition size unknown

Partly inspired by the death of a close friend and collaborator, and partly by the Pasolini film Decameron, the artist book Love is the Language that Sex Speaks explores "secular ways of grieving and material-driven approaches to text production."

"He disappeared. I got a call from the Vancouver police, they said that he was missing and then a month later they found his body,"  La Marre told the CBC, in 2019. "And it was very difficult. I mean, there's not really any words to describe what that's like. But what really became clear to me in that time was how private grief is and how difficult it is to share. Then, at the same time paradoxically, how it connected me to all of these other amazing people that were involved in his life."

La Marre then began to think about a scene in Decameron where a crowd of grieving Italians line the streets to mourn the death of a saint. Decameron is a 1971 anthology film based on the 14th-century allegory by Giovanni Boccaccio. It is the first film of Pier Paolo Pasolini's notorious Trilogy of Life. 

"The people were connecting to one another through their emotions but in the midst of their grief, a group of pickpockets go through the crowd stealing their wallets."

This image became a point of departure for the book. The material is unattributed, derived from passages in books, magazine articles, film and television, as well as overheard conversations. La Marre collected phrases over the course of four years, assembling an "argument for what a secular approach to grieving may look like."

The title is available from Anagram Books, here, for £7.50.

3 comments:

  1. Special thanks to HACK VANISH, a professional hacker I’ve been hiring for the past 2 years because, I find him to be an outstanding hacker who has aided me in various hacking related issues, ranging from fixing my poor FICO credit score of about 437 TransUnion, 462 Equifax to 802 plus excellent score, tracking my cheating husband’s phone and currently has helped me recover my lost crypto funds from an online scam investment I recently ventured into, I must confess he is the best, quite brilliant, ever since I discovered him through a positive review I saw on Wallet Hub and reached out to him via Email: Hackvanish @ Gmail. com, and Phone: +1(747) 293-8514, to which he responded in less than 10mins, I have never regretted working with him, he’s been quite helpful and highly efficient. I Would recommend his services to anyone without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitcoin investment has changed my life because I invested my bitcoin with Mr Anderson Carl. He is a professional trader and he help me trade my bitcoin and he can also help you. My first investment with Anderson Carl, I profited up to $2,600 with my investment of $200 in 7 days, Looking into this week as well, what have you planned to achieve? Why not take that step now and contact Anderson Carl on whatsapp: +1(252)285-2093 Email:(andersoncarlassettrade@gmail.com)I advice you shouldn't hesitate He's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need personal informations from companies,family and friends that will better your life and you need easy access without them noticing or you’re financially unstable and you have a bad credit score, come to Brillianthackers800@gmail.com he will solve that without stress,he and his team can clear criminal records without leaving a trace and can also anonymously credit your empty credit cards with funds you need,all these things and more this hacker and his team will do cause they keep you updated on every step taken in order to achieve the goal and they also deliver on time,I tested and confirmed this I’m still happy on how my life is improving after my encounter with them, you can send a mail to Brillianthackers800@gmail.com, you can also message on Whatsapp +14106350697

    ReplyDelete