Sunday, February 7, 2021

Martine Syms | Shame Space




Martine Syms
Shame Space
New York City, USA: Primary Information, 2020
240 pp., 5.5 x 8", softcover
Edition of 1500

Released in November of last year, Shame Space is an artist book whose form mirrors the bible (embossed leather-textured cover, gold edging, etc.) and whose subject matter includes sex, drugs, money and self-loathing. 

"The mysteries of Shame Space expand when you approach the book less as an exercise in autobiography and more as an irreverent performance of contemporary living," writes Allison Conner, in her review for Hyperallergic.

Regularly $20.00, the book is currently on sale for $16.00 US, from the publisher, here



"If I could use other people’s diaries I would but I just don’t have access to them so, I think more shame than me feeling oh, I feel really vulnerable and strong doing this. It’s more like I feel like totally ashamed about doing it, but I also feel that way sometimes about just making art in general."
- Martine Syms

No comments:

Post a Comment