Saturday, April 22, 2023

Yoko Ono | I Love You Earth









Today is the 53rd annual Earth Day. On April 22nd, 1970, United States Senator Gaylord Nelson initiated a nationwide environmental teach-in, based on peace activist John McConnell's proposed day to honour the Earth, and the concept of peace. Twenty years later, in 1990, the concept went global, with events organized in 141 nations (I marched in Toronto that year). Now more than a billion people participate, across 193 countries. 

The above billboard and text work is based on the closing song from Yoko Ono's LP StarPeace. The 1985 record was almost universally maligned, and not unfairly. Sounds gave it a one star review, calling it "a slab of pretentious AOR offal". Spin Magazine called it "a Sesame Street album for children who think My Weekly Reader has been withholding the truth", and said that "the album's placidity and earnestness make embarrassing claims on our emotions".

The poor response to the record led to Ono withdrawing from music, later saying "After Starpeace I was totally discouraged...by the fact that there was no kind of demand for what I was doing, to put it mildly!". She returned eleven years later with the brilliant Rising, in 1996. 

I LOVE YOU EARTH joins IMAGINE PEACE and FLY as Ono's most seen billboard projects, following the War Is Over! collaboration with John Lennon in the early seventies. 




1 comment:

  1. Forget about the negative reviews you see there are still some legit managers Trading Bitcoin and Forex with a trusted account manager are what can make your dreams come through I have tried so many managers and I got scammed until I met Mr Mark Toray he's 100% legit and reliable All because of fear I decided to try it with Mr Mark Toray with a little amount of $2000 but to my greatest surprise Mr Mark Toray made me a profit of $20,200 within a week now I'm continuously earning not less than $25,000 - $40,000 anytime I invest with the minimum amount of $5000 within a week. Just so I also decided to post it out through recommendation just in case anyone might be interested!! Here's his Email: marktoray8@gmail.com or telegram @mark4toray Bitcoin is taking over the world

    ReplyDelete