Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Dick Higgins | Classic Plays












Dick Higgins
Classic Plays
New York City, USA: Unpublished Editions, 1976
[60] pp., 23.5 x 15.5 cm., softcover
Edition of 750
     

Over the course of his life, Higgins wrote and edited forty-seven books. Classic Plays - dedicated to Robert Filliou - is his seventh under the Unpublished Editions imprint. 


"My interest in languages other than my native English had been an ongoing preoccupation from the beginning, as the reader can see from the list of books to date. But I also, therefore, felt that I should extend this into a single work in two languages, punning back and forth between the two. So it happened that in 1976 I wrote and Unpublished Editions published classic plays, which is in French and English throughout, and the title of which is an ironically preten- tious reference to wordplays as well as an allusion to its story, the Persephone myth, which it tells by allusion and reference, following an idea of Augustus Wilhelm Schlegel, one of the Jena group of early German romantics..."
- Dick Higgins, "The Strategy of Each of My Books" 1984







No comments:

Post a Comment