Saturday, January 7, 2023

Michael Snow Tribute #7: Sinoms




Michael Snow
Sinoms
Toronto, Canada: Art Metropole, 1991
Audio CD, 14 × 13 cm.
Edition size unknown


I suppose this post is more of a tribute to Mani Mazinani, but also to Michael Snow's influence and openness.* 

I first met Mani when he was in his mid to late teens. He came into Art Metropole wearing headphones, listening to music. I remember him bopping his head to it, though this could be a confabulation. I asked him what he was listening to and he replied "Michael Snow". I was pleased to hear this, but a little confounded as to what Snow work it could be, so I asked. 

"Sinoms", said Mani. 

"Sinoms?" I clarified, incredulously. You mean the piece where Michael recites the names of Quebec mayors for almost an hour?!?"

Mazinani became a regular customer, mostly of books and audio works by Snow. He epitomized the super-fan: eager, dedicated and curious. 

He began attending the weekly performances of Michael's band CCMC (often as the only one in the audience - something I did myself, once). The two became friends and eventually Mani started to work as Michael's studio assistant. Later they became collaborators. 

As a duo, they have performed together many, many times, including the below performance at Nathan Philips Square in Toronto, and a 2019 performance at the Tate Modern.







*At a Power Plant opening once, Michael told me that it had been suggested to him that he retire, to make way for the next generation of artists. He said that he couldn't imagine ever packing it in, and that he still wanted to be part of "the dialogue". 




No comments:

Post a Comment