Thursday, November 30, 2023

Dave Dyment | Dead Ringer







Dave Dyment
Dead Ringer
Sackville, Canada: Self-published, 2023
107-minute film on USB drive, folded poster, printed materials
Edition of 5 signed and numbered copies [+2 AP]


The boxed edition of my 2022 film Dead Ringer, which investigates Toronto’s portrayal (or non-portrayal) in television and cinema. Comprised of hundreds and hundreds of clips filmed in Toronto, with the city standing in for New York, Boston, London, Mumbai, Tokyo and countless other international locations, the film repurposes these scenes to tell local stories and examine questions surrounding representation in cinema. 

The film uses Casa Loma (a medieval castle in mid-town, built just over a century ago) as the central lens through which to look at artifice, civic pride and folly. Casa Loma has portrayed Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in X-Men, Batman’s Wayne Manor in Titans, and Dr. Frank N. Furter's castle in The Rocky Horror Picture, as well as appearances in Scott Pilgrim, Ready or Not, Crimson Peak, Strange Brew, The Pacifier, and the Oscar winning picture Chicago (which was shot entirely in Toronto).

Dead Ringer premiered at Casa Loma last fall and had subsequent screenings at Toronto City Hall, all arranged by the good people at Ontario Culture Days. 

The work is now screening for the rest of the month via Hot Docs:











1 comment:

  1. I strongly JERRYLINK CREDIT GROUP: I think they are the best in terms of credit repair. I had worked with different credit companies in the past, but there was no significant change on my credit report. So many credit forums recommended DYI, I tried every credit hack in the book all o no avail. A real estate agent introduced me to Mr. Jerry, who has been helping his clients. Mr. Jerry and his team helped me erase all the negative things on my report, and raised my score to excellent score across all three bureaus. I’m recommending as promised. They are available on gmail: JERRYLINKGROUP AT GMAIL DOT COM or +16265140620

    ReplyDelete