Sunday, March 19, 2023

Yoko Ono | Blood Objects from Family Album












Yoko Ono
Blood Objects from Family Album
New York City, USA: UBU Gallery, 1995
17.5 x 10.2 cm.
Edition size unknown


A year after the founding of Ubu Gallery in 1994, Yoko Ono presented a solo exhibition there, comprising of two bodies of work. Works from the Franklin Summer 'automatic' pointillist drawings series sat alongside Family Album objects (bronzed versions of everyday items such as a splintered bat, a mirror, a high-heeled shoe, all splattered with blood red pigment). The latter recalled the image of her husband John Lennon's iconic glasses covered in his own blood after being shot in front of Ono outside their home in 1980, which adorned the cover of her first album after his murder. 

To promote the show is this brilliant bit of ephemera, which I think bests the works in the show. A house key is just as good a signifier of domesticity as a mirror or shoe, and all the better that it arrives for free in the mail, serving as the exhibition announcement. 

The true brilliance is the lack of expense: I suspect most households have a drawer full of keys that are no longer in use but that the owners are reluctant to discard. It reminds me of when Laurie Anderson performed on SNL in 1986 - she handed out expired batteries and house keys to the audience as a keepsake. 

Ono has also frequently made use of the key as an object to open the sky, or open the universe (see next post). 




1 comment:

  1. Best & Guaranteed Crypto Recovery Hacker Recovery Masters

    My experience of online scamming took seconds and cost me thousands. I was fooled by a YouTube video that convinced me that I could make a killing in Crypto, and the minute I clicked the link and deposited funds, I knew something was up, but it was too late. I worked with RECOVERY MASTERS, and they were so helpful and supportive, and in the end, after 4 days, I finally got almost all of the money back. It wouldn't have been possible for me to meet up economically because I almost invested all my money but all thanks to Recovery Master with their genius effort to help me recover my already stolen currency. Please ensure also to consult: Recovery Master via email: (recoverymasters@email.cz)

    ReplyDelete