Thursday, February 16, 2023

Ceal Floyer | Newton’s Cradle






Ceal Floyer
Newton’s Cradle
Berlin, Germany: Self-published, 2017
17 x 13 x 13 cm. (cradle), 123 x 14 x 14 cm. (pedestal), 140 x 14 x 14 cm. (overall)
Edition of 3 [+ 2AP]


Named after Isaac Newton, a Newton’s cradle is a device that demonstrates conservation of momentum and energy using a series of swinging spheres. The device is also known as Newton's pendulum, Newton's balls, Newton's rocker, and Executive Ball Clicker, when they were popular as 'executive' desk toys. 

The first time I encountered one I was thirteen and babysitting for a family in my neighbourhood. The couple was out at a movie, the kids were upstairs asleep, and I was in the basement with popcorn, watching a movie. There was a a Newton’s cradle on their coffee table which I played with over the course of the evening. Inevitably, after testing its limits in a few different ways, the balls became tangled to the degree that I could not untangle them. Given the options of fessing up or hiding it and hoping the kids would be blamed, I took the cowardly option and hid it in a laundry hamper. It was never mentioned again. 

Floyer's Newton's Cradle is in a similar state when purchased. It sits atop a tall plinth, a monument to frustration. 





No comments:

Post a Comment