Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Alison Knowles | Blue Box










Alison Knowles
Blue Box
Berlin, Germany: Edition Hundtermark, 1981
10 x 6 x 2 cm.
Edition of 80 signed and numbered copies


The 73rd boxed work from Edition Hundtermark, and Knowles' second boxed bean (after Sea Bean, 1978, below), consists of a single bean housed in a box stamped "View of the World / Blick auf die Welt."

The work is available from the publisher, here, for  280 Euro.


"Beans are not usually used to make art or sound works so my position in using them for both is unique. It opens up the world of art to ordinary things such as edibles. I discover rare information about beans in libraries all over the world. The first of my publications was the Bean Rolls published by Fluxus in the early sixties. The next was A Bean Concordance published by Station Hill Press in the 70's. I am always collecting new information and I find everyone has something to say on the subject. Also, I think it is healthy for artists to have outside areas of research besides their own world."






No comments:

Post a Comment