Tuesday, August 31, 2021

James Lee Byars | I’m collecting questions







James Lee Byars
I’m collecting questions
Croton, USA: Hudson Institute, 1969
43.2 x 28 cm.
Edition size unknown

A questionnaire from the artist's brilliant World Question Centre (see earlier post, here) that states "I’m collecting questions. Please list yours and send to Byars (Temp. Art. in Res.) Hud. Inst. Croton, N.Y. 10520".



"So running the World Question Center I tried many things. I tried as I said street-tests, I went to schools. My biggest amazement was Columbia where I managed to hand out probably 1000 of the questionnaires which said, were regular size paper simply saying at the top “I’m collecting Questions. List yours.” And the return address of the Hudson Institute and so forth and then the numbers one to one-hundred down the side. On the reverse side there was a small ‘?’ in the middle of the page. It is interesting that I got only one return from Columbia. One questionnaire. But people dislike paper, I expect a lot of prejudice for that. So I don’t know if that’s a reasonable statistic or not."

- James Lee Byars, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, April 21, 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment