Thursday, December 6, 2018

Bruce Nauman | Partial Truth








Bruce Nauman
Partial Truth 
Los Angeles, USA: Gemini G.E.L., 1997
45.7 x 61 x 5 cm.
Edition of 25 signed, numbered and dated copies


Hand carved black absolute granite.


"I did Partial Truth when Konrad [Fischer] was dying. It was the year that Susan [Rothenberg] and I had sublet a loft in New York. Konrad had heard about that. He called and said, ‘Bruce, I hear you’re moving to New York.’ I said. ‘No, well maybe partly. This is partly true.’ And he said, ‘This is a piece. We’ll make this piece.’ So I didn’t really think about it very much, but I did make a drawing. By the time I’d made a drawing, he’d already made plans to have it made in neon. Then he died before anything got done. I didn’t really want to do it in neon; it seemed appropriate to do it in stone. That was the last tiny thing that almost got done in neon."
- Bruce Nauman



Nauman celebrates his 77th birthday today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment