Monday, July 24, 2017

Jonathan Monk | Accidental Purchase #1, 2014



Jonathan Monk
Accidental Purchase #1, 2014
Book mounted on wood in acrylic glass
43.94 x 41.91 x 3.81 cm.
Unique work


"I collect books by artists.

This is something I am passionate about and it has become some kind of addiction. The search to find something more obscure to add to my collection often leads to slightly extreme measures. But I do try and focus on specific artists – my collection is not all encompassing.

One artist I'm fascinated by is Richard Prince. His books follow a not so traditional trajectory – repetition is a constant. The same book can appear in a number of different guises. Different covers, different languages, and different sizes.

I was fascinated to discover a series of Richard Prince books on American Muscle cars from the 1960's and 70's – they appeared to fit nicely into his overall production... and I'd never seen anything like it before - so I ordered them. They arrived beautifully packed from a small town in the middle of America – it felt like Christmas...

Once opened it became clear that these were not a publications by the artist Richard Prince but by a Chevrolet expert also named Richard Prince. Mistaken identity filling the shelves. These books became the first Accidental Purchases."
- Jonathan Monk

No comments:

Post a Comment